What is New?
We would like to congratulate Silk Romance Watch me Rolex in Rio aka Lex from the Litter of Hope (Mel and Bebe – Siro, Lux and Amor) for achieving his Jr Championship under age of 2 years.
At only 10 lbs and 10″ height, he is my go to dog. To see his pictures please go to: https://silkromancehavanasilkdog.com/our-boys/lex/
The Havana Silk Dog Association of America has now partnered with Betterbred and UC Davis Veterinary Genetics Laboratory (VGL) to analyze and further enhance the diversity of the breed. The Genetic Diversity Testing of the breed is now in the preliminary results phase and will continue to test more certified dogs to build the genetic database necessary to provide an accurate assessment of the genetic diversity within the breed.
The Havana Silk is a very healthy breed, with a lifespan of 10 to 15 years.
The Havana Silk Dog Association of America (HSDAA) is one of the few dog registries in the world that requires all breeding dogs to pass designated health clearances in order to register a litter. Results of these required exams should be submitted to OFA. These include screening for congenital patella luxation and congenital heart defects at 8 weeks old (dogs must be re-screened at 12 months of age). In addition, after 12 months of age, breeding dogs should be screened for hip dysplasia, eye disease, hearing status, and submit soaped photos for the evaluation of straight legs, proper proportions, shoulders, structure and angulation of the dog as well as a physical conformation evaluation. They also need have a DNA profile recorded for research purposes as well as bank their DNA with OFA. They must submit a CBC and Blood Chemistry Panel as well as paired Bile Acids showing normal liver function.
In December of 2021, the HSDAA reported the following disease frequencies in the Havana Silk based on OFA statistics for the breed:
- 1) Congenital patella luxation: 98.3% normal screenings.
- 2) Congenital heart defects: 100% normal screenings.
- 3) Hearing – BAER exam: 99.1% normal screenings.
- 4) Vision – CERF exam: 99.6% normal screenings.
- 5) Hip dysplasia – 82.4% normal screenings.
- 6) Serum Bile Acid: 100% normal screenings.
If you would like to read the complete document, please copy and paste the following link (https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/canine-genetic-diversity/havana-silk)
Because your support means a lot to us, we encourage you to join our social media groups on Facebook.
- The Members Only group where we will share Club and Breed information can be found with this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/havanasilkdogclubmembers
- The Non Members Group is for anyone who owns or wants a Havana Silk Dog without the need to be a member of the Club. You can find this group with this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/havanasilkdog
Please invite family and friends to join us and share with our community!
Our next social event will be at the Tallahassee Regional Specialty Show November 5 and 6, 2022. Please go to (http://havanasilkdog.org/show-calendar-2022/) for more information.